Saturday, November 19, 2011

PLEASE HELP!! I am looking for a plant that has a flower like Dutchman's Breeches?

I am looking for a plant that has a flower like Dutchman's Breeches does not have the compound or fern leaf.


Looking for a plant that has a flower like Dutchman's or Dutchmen's Breeches but this one has white breeches and a bit of a red flower part coming out from the breeches part. The leave are not fern-like or compound. They are simple oval shaped leaves, thick and the plant is a very strong vine. I lost mine due to the deep freeze we had in California and want to buy some. Does anyone know what these are called and where I can buy them?

PLEASE HELP!! I am looking for a plant that has a flower like Dutchman's Breeches?
Obviously it is a form of Dicentra and you should look it up on the web.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicentra
Reply:My dicentra (bleeding heart) has compound leaves. And it's not a vine. So I don't know if there are simple-leaf vine dicentras.





I think Dutchman's Breeches are also called False Valerian. That could be wrong.





Anyway, if you have access to a key (check a big library or a science library at a college), then you can figure out a species based on its characteristics. It's a book (or set of books) that leads you from characteristic to characteristic like a Choose Your Own Adventure book for plants (and it's not as interesting, I'll warn you.) There might be an online key somewhere...check botany sites in your area for tropical plants. But you'll probably have to go to a library.


No comments:

Post a Comment