Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What Flowers have both male & female parts?

my husband (a science teacher) needs to disect flowers that have both parts but I don't know which to get!

What Flowers have both male %26amp; female parts?
Most flowers at a florist will have both parts. I have found that a lilly is a good plant for the classroom, because it has such large reproductive parts (stamens and pistil) and it's easy to dissect.


I think a good rule is to stay away from any flower that has numerous petals - often these flowers will lack the appropriate number male parts due to selection for the showy petals.
Reply:I have found that with my kids, carnations work best --they have both parts and they are cheap! Your grab the carnation at the base of the flowe (sepals) and pull apart. You can then see the ovary (female) and the pistils (male). I usually can get local florists to donate older flowers that they cannot sell. They work great for 7th grade labs.





Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment