Saturday, May 22, 2010

How do I keep birds from eating flowers in my container garden?

I have also seen squirrels and chipmunks, so I bought Shake Away--it seemed to work for the most part if I keep putting it out there. I also bought a pinwheel and some hologram ribbon that is supposed to keep birds away, but these have not worked--the birds keep going into the containers. I've replaced some of my flowers already, and when I see that they've been dug up (sometimes they've been removed completely and put on the ground) I just replant and hope that the roots take hold again. I have always lived on the second floor with a porch garden, and never had problems like this, even though there were a lot of birds. Now I'm on the first floor and I can't get them to stay away. There were a lot of neighbors that had bird feeders, and management requested they be removed because the squirrel problem was getting worse. Are they so hungry now they are going for the flowers? I cannot put moth balls out, since they cause me to have an asthma attack. Any suggestions would help!

How do I keep birds from eating flowers in my container garden?
You can try sound at different intervals--loud bangs or such to scare the little buggers away. Of course there is always my huskies!!! Or maybe a cat--my Murphy hunts extremely well and chases all the birds from the lawn!


Birds are tough because you are not always there to shoo them away. My daughter just emailed a picture of a nest of hatchlings in her hanging annual plant off her front pourch. They do not harm the flowers, just nest between them.


Also you may try to go a season without any containers to see if they forget about you next year!


may you should feed them so they leave the flowers alone!!


In any event good luck! Jane
Reply:try lightweight netting

buckles

No comments:

Post a Comment