Thursday, May 20, 2010

Flowering plant part of the violet family called streptocapela. I might be spelling it wrong. can you help?

the plant is a house plant and has purple flowers .I am looking for the correct name/spelling thanks

Flowering plant part of the violet family called streptocapela. I might be spelling it wrong. can you help?
It is Streptocarpus, sometimes also called Cape Primrose. They are relatives of the gloxinia and the African violet. They do come in some other colors besides purple, including white, blue, pink, rose, and red, often with blotches of a contrasting color.
Reply:Yes, it is probably Streptocarpus - we would have to get a sample or at least a photo of it as there are roughly 130 genera and 2900 species throughout the world. In my neck of the woods we have 51 species. My local favorite is S. polyanthus. Grow off moist rock faces and rocky outcrops. Magnificent small blue flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment