Thursday, May 20, 2010

Is road salt affecting my flower bed?

I just moved to Vermont this past winter and when the plow came it broke some of my flower bed by the road. It is very large and goes right along the road. Well when the plow comes it scoops up all the snow on the road and pushes it into my bed. There were some tulips just planted last fall and they came up but did not look so great. Now that the flowers are dead the green parts are yellow and sickly where as other tulips on my property that have flowered and gone do not look like this. I planted a lot of spring bulbs after the ground was was workable and nothing came up but a few straggly strands and they are Day Lilies which I thought grew easily. I did everything right care wise for them and put fresh composted manure with them. The same thing for some dahlias that I planted there. They seem to be coming up but not doing as well as other dahlias I have planted on the property. What can I plant there it looks horrible! Will wild flowers from seed do well?

Is road salt affecting my flower bed?
seed flowers are often even more delicate, if this seems to be a problem area, which it sounds like it is since it takes a lot of winter abuse, i'd try really really hardy plants. Sedum can take just about anythign you can throw at them, bugleweed is a groundcover with purple flowers that is pretty hardy too. I'd talk to your local greenhouse, they'd have some more suggestions for your particular area too. good luck, i know how sad ruined gardens can be!

roller blades

No comments:

Post a Comment