Saturday, May 22, 2010

Is my potted anthurium dying?

Our dog knocked over my potted anthurium and now all but two of the leaves are gone. It seemed as if it was about to put out a flower/spathe/that coloured leafy looking part and now that part is all withered. I know very little about caring for such a plant but have been doing some reading up and following some basic rules, not too much water, no direct light but enough and so on. I'm really distressed as this plant was a gift and I really love it and want it to survive. Our dog also knocked out the wood chips so I've tried replacing them with dried mango leaves. I live in Jamaica and am surrounded by mango trees. But i don't know what else to do and I don't want it to die. Can someone please help me save it and give me some tips for its care in general. Thanks in advance.

Is my potted anthurium dying?
Getting knocked over should not cause that much stress. I work in a greenhouse and we have knocked over our anthuriums numerous times. Did the dog break the plant? That would be a cause for stress. From what you are saying though, it personally sounds to me as if you are over watering. They hate to be constantly moist. The general rule with watering this plants is "When in doubt, do without." A plant is easier to come out of underwatering than overwatering.





Anyways, best thing to do would be bring it to your local nursery and see what they think about it. Don't give up on it, it will come back with the proper care.
Reply:It may have gone into shock when it was knocked over. Get to the nursery, and get some vitamin B1 and follow the directions, as soon as possible.

safety shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment